Tourette Syndrome Association of Victoria
TSA of Victoria is a voluntary non profit organisation consisting of people with TS and their families, professionals and other interested individuals .The TSA of Victoria was founded in 1990 and has an office space at the MS Society Nerve Centre.
Our objectives are:
- Support individual and families with TS through counseling and advocacy
- Disseminate educational material to health care workers and educators
- Increase public awareness of TS through main stream media networks
- Maintain a membership base of TS sufferers and their families
- Conduct public meetings for members and other interested persons
- Provide resources and information on TS
- Organize family outings throughout the year for members and their families
Tourette Syndrome was once thought to be a rarity, but is now being more widely recognised and therefore diagnosed. The exact number of people with TS is unknown, but until recently a figure of 1 in thousand was widely accepted. However, the most current studies have recently demonstrated a prevalence of around 1% in schoolchildren.